12 May 2010

Baby's First Blog Poll!

This belly dancing thing is getting serious.

I had my first troupe rehearsal last week, at which - because of a couple of recent dropouts - I was 'asked' to perform at three shows in the next few months. The first is Sunday week. Doing a choreo I started learning *last week* and have *one* more rehearsal on before we perform.

So. Yes. I am slightly terrified and overwhelmed, while also trying to feel all good about trying new things etc. But shelving the self-helpetry for the moment, I need input on an important decision: one of the shows, in August, will be a paid gig for which I will need a 'professional' costume (e.g., shiny and spangled). These can be quite pricey, but there's a website that has some decent, affordable options.

And here's the poll: I want to know what you-all think would suit me best. There are two styles I'm looking at (translation: that I could afford): the Amreekiya and... well, it has no name, so I'll call it the Shiny. It's a bit tricky because I prefer the top on the Shiny but the skirt on the Amreekiya. (Check the close-up photo of the top of the Amreekiya... it's kind of creepy in a way I can't quantify.)

The troupe colours are black and red, and I prefer gold accents (coins, etc.) to silver on BD costumes. So on the Amreekiya, it'd be either red or black where it's navy in the photo, and on the Shiny it'd be either black as in the photo or red where the black is. My teacher has okayed all of these, so it's just down to my preference.

I'll set up the poll to the right of the post. I'd really appreciate your input on this, so please vote - and additional info is always welcome in the comments section!


XOXO

4 comments:

  1. I think they are both OK. But I'm not keen on how they both make it look like your boobs are leaking sequins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alex: Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, that's a feature of lots of BD costumes. There are two other affordable styles on that site, but they both have white veils and skirts attached (no other colour option), and they make everything look really chintzy so they're not on my list.

    I'm going to have a look around for other affordable costumes, but the problem is that cheap ones tend to be cheaply made, and cheaply-made BD costumes are not only tacky and gross but also a flashing risk. My teacher recommends the costumes from this site specifically because she and others have ordered them before and she knows that they're good quality despite being on the cheaper end. BD costumes are STUPIDLY expensive because of all the beading and sequins.

    Of the ones I posted, which do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I think I definitely lean towards the Amrika in style (although I know what you mean about the top...). Possibly because I've been exposed to far too much gold and shiney - mostly on middle-aged Jewish women... And as for color, hard to know without seeing it. I think both would look good but I'm tempted to say red over black for you. Let Us know what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Just to throw a (shiny!) spanner in the works, I much prefer Shiny and I think in gold-black (no red). Unless that'd mean your the only person in no-red, in which case, get Shiny in red.

    Clear as mud, right?

    ReplyDelete