14 March 2010

Masa = love.

Omigod, you guys.

Caitlin took me to Masa for brunch today, and it was THE AWESOMER. The food, the drinks, the service, the everything. All of it, just beyond.

I started with a Citrus Mojito, which, if there's a better way to start a Sunday than with rum and lime, I sure as hell can't think of it. Caitlin had the Latin Bellini, which was so sparkly and light - mango! guava! champers! - that we each had two more of those before the meal was done. Somebody get on the phone to Anise and tell them to start serving liquor, y'all, you don't even know what you've been missing all this time. These were accompanied by fresh, warm cornbread with a selection of sweet and savoury jams and what I think was a maple-walnut-flavoured butter (slightly sweet, slightly salty, altogether perfect).

For an appetizer, I had the Southwestern Spring Roll, which was lovely and cheese-y with a beautiful clean chilli heat to it. (Went really well with the mojito too!) Caitlin had the Breakfast Tacos, which I coveted mightily until I had a taste of my own app and did a Happy Food Dance in my chair.

For my entrée, I had the Santa Fe-style Eggs Benedict (no avocado), which were pushed beyond the usual level of Hollandaise greatness by the use of biscuits (American biscuits, not British/Australian biscuits), which maintained their crunch much better than the standard English muffin. The home fries were a bit bland and not crunchy like I like them, but everything else on the plate - including a transcendent fresh red salsa - was so good that I simply did not care. Caitlin had the chocolate-chip pancakes, and judging by the look on her face she was quite happy with her choice.

Sadly, I'm going to miss out on another Work of Culinary (TM Oscar and Versical) this evening: the Mission Hill Massive's Sunday Dinner is on, and it's the annual St. Patrick's Day Boiled Dinner edition - whether there's a reason it's only done once a year is your call. Unfortunately, I've come over all wicked tired and I feel like the cold I've been fighting off for the last few days is settling in, so I'm going to give this week a miss and stay home with my 'Stupid Stupid Man' DVDs, even though it means skipping my Mom's amazing Irish bread - and no, there wasn't one made for our house. But I need the rest more than the baked goods, I think.

Also, while we're on the topic of 'Stupid Stupid Man': how the bloody hell is Matthew Newton so hot? I *know* he's an asshole. He's even playing an asshole, so it's not like I'm deluding myself about the character. I just... gah. I'm a broken human, and a bad, bad lesbian.

XOXO

Link du jour: Caitlin's photo blog. Go check out what things look like where we live.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky I've eaten dinner already or I would just about be eating Thierry by now! It all sounds delish.

    Kat showed poor technologically challenged me how to install an app on Ikey so now I can follow your blog everywhere I go ... but I haven't figured out how to comment that way so I may just be the silent stalker type of follower!

    And I'm assuming that I've dropped enough names (and exclamation marks) that you know who I am, even though I can't remember my Google password to sign in - see above comment re technologically challenged!

    Love to you and the folks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and chicken and an ear scratching for Buster!

    ReplyDelete