30 December 2010

An open letter to The Lawyer


So we agree, we're better as Friends. And not in the 'I hope that we can still be friends' way, but sincerely. I'm glad we worked this out sooner than later because not having you around to goof off with would suck, but dating you was wrecking me and I know I was driving you crazy too.

But do you really have to bring the other girl to the New Year's party being held in my fucking apartment? Because I have nowhere else to go. I don't know people in Boston, I don't have a list of other places I could be. And while I know it's tricky because you've been seeing her for so long (years, really), and while I'm aware that my flatmate is your best friend, and while I'm sure it would have been an awkward conversation to have with the girl who assumed she was invited when she heard about it - and I'm not sure what, if anything, she knows about me - it's still going to be a fuckload ickier for me to have her inescapably there for five hours. I truly don't have anything against her - she's perfectly nice and must have the patience of a saint to have been trying to hold onto you for as long as she has - but for god's sake, cut me a little slack. Please. It's a small group of people (10-15, of whom I'll know four, and one of them is you) in a small apartment. What am I supposed to do if it gets rough? Sit in my room and read a book? I won't pretend that I don't still have a few unresolved feelings for you, and though those will pass quickly (they mostly already have), watching that this soon this close-up for this long is not going to be easy, and not only will I not be able to step out of it, I won't even be able to talk to any of the people there about it, even the few I know, because they're all your friends. Not mine.

You know you fucked up. You told me so. But you refuse to acknowledge that there's any other option for you apart from 'well, we just won't come', and you know full well that a) that's not an option because as previously noted, my flatmate = your bestie and you know everyone that will be there, whereas I know none of them, and you would be missed; and b) ... god, just stop being so stupid, would you please? Ugh.

So yes, this New Year's Eve will be different from the last. Last year I was surrounded by summer and old friends and excitement and promise. This year I'll be surrounded by cold and wet and strangers and an awkward situation. But you watch: I'll smile and be charming and laugh a lot, because I'm very good at that; and I'll medicate heavily and drink substantially and hope that I pass out before the ball drops and I have to see you kiss the new year in with the other girl. Because I'm happy to be your friend, but in that moment I'll still be a little sad I'm not more.


XOXO

1 comment:

  1. oh honey.

    we'll be thinking of you tonight, i promise you. and i hope your party is more fun than you expect.

    remember when you feel alone, you're really not - all your friends from all the different parts of the world are right beside you in spirit.

    *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete