02 July 2010

Stompies We'd Like to See

I love overhearing bits of conversation out of context. Sometimes those bits are sad, sometimes they're incomprehensible, and every now and then they're breath-stealingly funny. Several years ago, Trace told me that in South Africa this is known as picking up stompies: 'stompies' are cigarette butts, so 'picking up stompies' means collecting the butt-ends of other people's stories. Excellent, no?

Today, though, I had kind of the reverse experience. Prompted by I-don't-know-what, the phrase 300 bags of saline and a strawberry cupcake popped into my head. Leaving aside for a moment the psychology involved in unpicking that thought process, I did immediately recognise that this was the stompie of my dreams, the ultimate prize. Can you imagine strolling past someone and hearing those words come floating by? It's majestic, the dernier cri. I giggled to myself on the street for several minutes and eventually needed to duck into an alley to pull myself together.

So here's the challenge: I want you-all to come up with your Dream Stompies. Hit me up in the comments. I'm expecting particularly good efforts from Ev, Nath and Anthony, just so you know.


XOXO

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a dehydrated cupcake!

    "so i got a letter back from the manufacturer saying "we received your photo with great interest but wish to point out that our product was never designed to be worn that way around" and "you have definitely voided your warranty"."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent start, and the gauntlet has been thrown. What else is out there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This could be void in terms of the competition because I did hear it rather than dream it up myself. But... it's my favourite. Ever.

    What I heard:
    "So they're turning them all into eunuchs."


    What he actually said:
    "So they're turning them all into UNIX."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it hard to go past one of yours...

    "... and then I got malaria and voila, I was skinny!"

    ReplyDelete